While kitchens get most of the attention, the bathroom may very well be the most important room in your home. As a result, bathroom additions are popular remodeling projects that pay dividends in comfort, enjoyment and functionality. A bathroom addition can range from a small half bath to a luxurious spa-like master bath and can be the difference between a home that functions well and one that doesn’t. If your San Diego home only has one bathroom currently (or not enough to accommodate your families needs), a new one is likely the most valuable home improvement decision you could make.
Bathroom Addition Costs
Bathroom additions are typical more expensive per square foot than most other room additions because they require special plumbing, electricity, ventilation and heating. The cost of adding a new bathroom to your home can range from $25,000 for a relatively simple and straightforward job, to well over $75,000 for large spa-like bathroom. Ultimately, the cost will depend on the size and scope of the job and the quality of materials used.
Bathroom Addition Ideas and Considerations
Every remodeling project is different and yours should reflect your needs and desires. Thinking about your home and your priorities first will insure that your new bathroom works for you.
- Exterior Features – If your addition changes the footprint of your home, it should blend in seamlessly with the original plan. This includes considerations of facade, roofing, trim, doors and windows.
- Materials – Flooring, cabinetry, vanities, and tile are among the many material options.
- Size and function – Will it be a half bath, full bath or master bathroom?
- Shower vs Tub -Your home should have, at minimum, one shower and one tub. If you don’t have one or the other, consider including it in the new bathroom.
- Privacy – If your home is set close to your neighbors, the orientation of your windows can have a huge impact on privacy.
- Storage – Closets, shelving, and cabinets all work together to make a bathroom functional.
- Location – Will your bathroom addition be on the first or second (or third!) floor of your home? A first floor bathroom addition requires a foundation or slab to support the weight of the structure. A second or third floor addition typically involves strengthening the structure of your home to support new construction. It will allow likely require removal of some of the first floor ceiling to run plumbing, heating and cooling and electrical systems. A first floor bathroom addition is typically much less disruptive to your families day to day lives, however, it will either take away space from your yard or take square footage from another room to accommodate.
Bathroom Addition Return on Investment
San Diego bathroom additions can expect to return between 52 and 80 percent on investment. However, the full ROI isn’t solely monetary. Bathroom addition projects typically have a high satisfaction rating for home owners who undertake them because an extra bathroom can transform a house that doesn’t work for a certain size family, to one that does. They can also add serious value to your home. According to the National Association of Home Builders and Remodelers, adding a full bath to your home can add as much as 20 percent to your home’s value, while a half bath will add 10 percent
Permitting and Legal Requirements
In San Diego, permits are not usually required for small bathroom upgrades like replacing a toilet, shower head, or faucet or fixing leaking pipes. However, in the case of bathroom remodels or additions, building permits are always required to make sure all changes are up to building codes. There are several different types of permits needed from the city of San Diego for bathroom additions: structural, plumbing, mechanical, electrical and combination. The process can be lengthy, confusing and time consuming, thus hiring a licensed remodeling company is essential. An experienced contractor will handle all the permitting for you and make sure your construction is safe AND legal.
If you are considering adding a bathroom to your San Diego area home, call Kaminskiy Design & Remodeling today. A bathroom addition is a major remodeling project and should only be trusted to experienced remodelers. Our team has been recognized as San Diego’s Best Kitchen and Bath Remodeler by the San Diego Union Tribune six times since 2010! Our professional have a firm commitment to exceptional craftsmanship and can help you add the bathroom of your dreams to your home.